I happen to adore brussel sprouts. I adore most vegetables actually. But don’t serve them to me boring and boiled. Roasted, yes. Perhaps with a bit of garlic and lemon. But today I wanted something with a bit of umami. And found this recipe for Asian Brussel Sprouts on Food.com http://www.food.com/recipe/asian-stir-fried-brussels-sprouts-173453 . Delicious!!
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed with x cut on bottom of each ( can use frozen)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Steam/cook the sprouts for about 7-10 minutes or until just tende. Remove from heat.
- Combine peanut oil, garlic and ginger in large, unheated skillet. Set over high heat until oil is very hot and garlic is fragrant but NOT browning, about 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in soy sauce, crushed red pepper, black pepper, sugar and sesame seeds.
- Stir in brussels sprouts and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Toss with sesame oil and serve warm.